setting up the theme
Here is a step by step recipe how to set up this theme. Some plugins are required and some code is necessary to set up the pages.
- Install the Theme (upload and activate). Only upload the the bigfeature folder (or the bigfeature.zip file). Do not install the downloaded zip file.
- Install some plugins (listed below). Search for the plugin name from within wordpress admin, then add and activate it. Some plugins can conflict with the theme, but the ones listed below have been tested to work, and also extra styling for the plugins has been added. Only add those that are needed. Adding to many will slow down your website.
- Add widgets (to the main sidebar).
- Add pages (see Page Templates Tutorial or use the setupdata available here).
- Add categories.
- Change theme settings.
- Add pages/categories/links to the navigation
- Enable the “Cache the settings stylesheet” setting. This will speed up your website. It writes the theme settings styles to optionstyles.css in the library/css folder. If this doesn’t work make the library/css folder writeable. More info.
- Enable the “Use an alternative styling for widget headings” setting if you want the same widget style as on the demo website.
- Large size: 528px (if width is 848 (default) then set this to 528. It is the “Feature Image Width” – (Sidebar Width + 50) ).
- Medium size: for inline images, set it less than the large size (ex. 300px).
- Thumbnail size: 150x150px (demo website settings).
- Full size: this is added by the scissors plugin. The “Feature Image Width” can be set here (leave the height 0), then all the images will automaticly be resized to the max width of the website.
- Contact Form 7
A good contact formula for the contact page.
- NextGEN Gallery
Install this one for the video functionality to work (use the pro-player shortcode).
For fancier page navigation.
Sidebar 125px ads.
- Breadcrumb NavXT
Install this one for the breadcrumbs functionality to work.
- Yoast Breadcrumbs
Alternative breadcrumbs plugin.
- Advanced Category Excluder
Hide posts from some part of the site, for example keep the portfolio posts only in the portfolio category (that is added to the navigation).
- Royo Category Visibility
An alternative to the “Advanced Category Excluder” plugin since it stopped working for new versions of WordPress.
- Popularity Contest
List most popular posts (there is a setting for displaying this after the article. Also a setting for how many posts to list). There is a settings for this plugin that should be changed (settings – popularity): Show popularity rank for posts, set it to no and press save.
Social bookmarking plugin.
Adds flickr images to the sidebar.
- WP Page Numbers
An alternative to WP-PageNavi.
- TweetMeme Button
Adds a retweet button to the post meta field. Set the position to manual, remove the styling, set the type to “The compact widget” and then enable it in the theme settings (Meta Information section). Also set a Source for retweets.
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin
Will replace the builtin related posts functionality. Go to the plugin settings. Deselect the “Automatically display related posts” checkbox, then choose “Display using a custom template file” and select the “yarpp-template-bf.php in the “Template file” dropdown list and then press save changes. The “Maximum number of related posts:” can also be changed. The “Show Related posts below articles” theme settings must also be set for it to work. Alternatively the “Show related posts as thumbnail posts” can be set (theme settings under misc) to display the related posts as thumbnail posts under the comments. If you want to use this plugin with a child theme you have to copy the yarpp-template-bf.php (in the bigfeature folder) file into the child theme folder.
- Shadowbox JS
This is a popup window like lightbox, but also takes html. This plugin is used together with bfthumbs. If this is installed the popup=”true” parameter can be set in bfthumbs. The default images/videos will then popup in a shadowbox window. A tip is to disable some of the players that is not needed to prevent to much loading of too many scripts. Bfthumbs needs the the html and imge players.
- TinyMCE Advanced
With this plugin extra functionality can be added to the editor. Add the styles dropdown to the editor bar (in this plugin settings) to get some useful classes in a dropdown list.
- My Profiles
Used with the Author infobox. When this plugin is installed and activated social links can be added to the author infobox (in user – profile).
None of these plugins are required, but are listed here since functionality and styling has been added for these plugins. Adding too many plugins can slow down the website, so do not add them all.
Information on setting up and using the theme
- Watch this video tutorial.
- Read the article about page templates.
- Check the theme settings overview.
- Read the FAQ.
- Search the Forum.
You can ask questions in the comments area on themeforest or in the Forum. Alternatively you can contact me through the themeforest contact form, but watch the video tutorial, read the documentation and search the forum before you ask questions. If you have a wordpress functionality question, please google it…and I do not give support on customizations (hire a coder).
Some have reported problems with displaying the default images, and the reason for this is the script timthumb. Here are some tips to make it work.
- Check if the cache folder is created under library/timthumb. If not create it and set it writable (755 or 777 depending on the server setup). Also make the timthumb folder writeable.
- Run the timthumb script directly. Example url:
Change the domain name to your website and the image path (src=) to an uploaded image on your server. If an image shows it works. If you get an error message, you can send it to the hosting support. A tip is to set the cache folder to chmod 755 instead of 777, since this is a problem on some servers.
- Make sure GD library is installed on the server.
- On some server setups the .htaccess file found in the scripts folder can break things. If this happens then renaming/ deleting the .htaccess file should fix things.
- There are different server setups, and this might be a security policy the is blocking the script. Example of hosting security blocking timthumb.php